Since 1984, Jerry Landers has litigated jury, non-jury, administrative trial and appeals cases in Georgia’s state and federal courts. Approximately half of his practice is devoted to wills, probate and estate administration, adult guardianships and conservatorships and related litigation. The remainder of his practice is devoted to representing plaintiff and defendant companies and individuals in a variety of commercial and non-commercial litigation matters. His wide range of representative clients includes hospitals, construction companies, skating rinks, commercial landlords, individuals, healthcare organizations, emergency medical service providers, city government, logistics companies and news media. He is a member of the International Amusement and Leisure Defense Association, which provides legal and risk management services to amusement parks, skating rinks, bowling alleys and similar family entertainment centers. Jerry is also a registered mediator.
Jerry’s legal career began at the University of Georgia, where he served on the Student Judiciary as a main and residence court justice. After graduating from Emory University School of Law in 1984, he served in the Office of Governor George Busbee. From the governor’s office, he began his law practice in 1984 with the Marietta firm of Barnes & Browning and became the managing partner in nine years. In 2004, Jerry, along with two partners, formed Green, Johnson and Landers, LLP. Jerry returned to Marietta in 2008 to open his own practice and continues to offer his clients effective and high quality legal services. Jerry has always been of the opinion that when his clients come to him with legal issues, it is his job to partner with them to successfully solve those problems in a manner that is most beneficial to his clients.
Notable cases include:
Probate and estate:
- In Bean v. Wilson, 283 Ga. 511, 661 S.E.2d 518 (2008), Jerry obtained a favorable jury verdict for his client, which was upheld on appeal to the Georgia Supreme Court, invalidating a will which was obtained by undue influence.
- In Evans v. Sparkles, 290 Ga. App. 458, 659 S.E.2d 860 (2008), Jerry obtained summary judgment, which was upheld on appeal to the Georgia Court of Appeals, for his skating rink client in a case where a patron alleged that he was injured when he fell while roller skating. The Court of Appeals specifically recognized and upheld the Georgia Roller Skating Safety Act authored by Jerry Landers.
- In December, 2009, Jerry obtained a judgment for his skating rink client against a minor’s claim that she was injured when she tripped over an extension cord on the carpeted floor outside the skating rink area. The Court cited the Georgia Roller Skating Safety Act and found that (1) the rink had complied with its obligations under the act, (2) the minor and her witnesses gave conflicting accounts of how she fell (noting specifically that there was no mention of an extension cord in the initial report of the accident) and (3) the minor assumed the risk of falling while on roller skates.
- In January, 2013, Jerry obtained summary judgment for his skating rink client against an adult skater’s claim that she was injured when her rental roller skate “locked up.” The Court found that the plaintiff had assumed the risk of her injuries.
- In September, 2008, Jerry successfully represented an adult child in obtaining a guardianship and a conservatorship for her incompetent parent over the objection of another child who had taken steps to change their father’s long-standing estate plans.
- In January, 2010, Jerry successfully defended a guardian/conservator against a sibling’s petition to remove her as guardian conservator. After a three day hearing, the Probate Court found that there were no grounds to support the petition for removal.
- In March, 2010, Jerry successfully defended an older adult against an attempt by her adult child to have herself appointed as emergency guardian. The Probate Court found that there was insufficient evidence to support the petition for an emergency guardian.
Jerry A. Landers, Jr. understands that when his clients come to him, they have a problem that they need help to solve. To that end, Jerry believes that his role is to partner with them to successfully resolve those problems in an efficient, professional and cost effective manner that is most beneficial to his clients.
Jerry A. Landers, Jr. has specialized experience in:
- Estate administration
- Estate litigation
- Roller skating, family entertainment centers and leisure defense
- Real estate litigation
- Boundary line disputes
- Commercial litigation
- Medical malpractice defense
- Civil litigation
- Civil appeals
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
Attorney Jerry A. Landers, Jr. serves clients in Marietta, Georgia and throughout Cobb County and Metro Atlanta.